Cassatt was born in 1844 in Allegany,
- She died in 1926 at the age of 86 years
- At the age of 7, Mary's family moved from
America to Paris, France for a couple of years. Her parents wanted
their children to experience and see all the wonderful things in
Paris. (Museums and Galleries)
- Mary decided that she wanted to become a
serious artist because of her experiences in Paris.
- Mary painted in the impressionistic style and
used short strokes, bright colors, soft pastels and strong
- She loved painting families and children
especially mothers with their babies.
- One of her famous works is "The
Bath" which is an impressionistic
picture. It shows a baby wrapped in a towel, a mother holding the
baby, and a girl that looks like she is about seven years old.
- Another famous painting is "On
the Balcony." This one shows two women
on a balcony fanning themselves and a man watching.
"...We liked her paintings because they express
"...In her paintings the people looked very warm
"...When I look at her paintings it makes me feel
that I wish I could paint like her."
Sloane and Tayler
back to artist index