1. Roald Amundsen, a Norwegian polar explorer, was the first to reach the __________ Pole in 1911.
2. Marco Polo in the 1280's journeyed to China and at the request of Kublai ________ went on several expeditions.
3. After five weeks at sea, Columbus reached what he thought were the islands off China (the East Indies) but in fact landed in the ____________ Indies.
4. Ferdinand Magellan was killed in the _________________________ in 1521 but his men continued their 3 year trip round the world from Spain.
5. Vasco Balboa was a Spanish explorer who was the first European to see the _______________ Ocean.
6. Captain James Cook was killed in the __________________ Islands which he founded in 1778.
7. David Livingstone traveled to the heart of _______________, the Dark Continent. He was later lost but was found by H.M. Stanley.
8. John Cabot came from _______________ to Newfoundland in 1497.
9. In seaworthy but small ships, the _________________ made long ocean voyages from Scandinavia. One leader was Leif Ericson who in 1002 came to North America which he named Vinland.
10. LaSalle was a French explorer who sailed down the great river called the ___________________________ in 1681.
11. Prince Henry the Navigator of Portugal had ships which sailed along the coast of West ____________ in the 1400's.
12. Name two Spanish explorers in Mexico and South American. _______________________________________________________________
13. Hernando DeSoto was the first European to explore the region of _________________________ from 1538-1542.
14. Lewis and Clark went all the way from the Mississippi River to the _________________ Ocean. Their journey took two and a half years and opened up the West to trappers and settlers.
15. Name 3 people from the Discovers' Web on the Internet. ___________________________________________________________________________________
16. Name Columbus' three ships. _________________________________________________
17. What was Ponce de Leon looking for? __________________________________________
18. Who is your favorite explorer? ________________________________________________