How to write a Public Service Announcement
from "The Kid's Guide to Social Action" by Barbara Lewis.
Free Spirit Publishing. 80-81. Complete the PSA sheet in 8 steps.
- Write the name and address of your school, company, or organization at the top
- Brieftly describe your target audience (the people you want to reach with your message).
- List the dates your PSA should begin and end running on the air.
- List a contact person (you?) and a phone number (use the school's main phone number (808) 689-1200). Include an email address, if you have one. These information allows the radio or television station to contact you regarding your video.
- Briefly state your topic (what your PSA is about).
- Write the text. Read it aloud to see how long your PSA will be and adjust your text as needed to fit the time slot. You could include two versions: a short one (maybe 30 seconds) and a longer version (45 seconds or 1 minute). This will give you a choice for your final submission.
- Be sure to include the length of your video (not including TRT and end credits).
- Write "-end-" at the bottom. This means that the text of the PSA is finished.
This is how your final PSA sheet should look like:
Public Service Announcement
JACKSON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
750 West Second South
Salt Lake City, Utah 84109
TARGET AUDIENCE: youth groups, adult supervisors
BEGINNING DATE: September 1, 1997 ENDING DATE: October 1, 1997
CONTACT PERSON: Donald Seher PHONE: 555-2022
MONEY FOR KIDS TO PLANT TREES
30 seconds, 63 words
Plant a tree today to save our future. Trees save more than money. They can save our environment.
Trees recycle water and prevent soil erosion. One tree in its average 50-year lifetime will provide $62,000 worth of air pollution control.
Matching grants of money are available to school children throughout Utah to plant trees. For more information, call 467-HERB.
(Written by Donald Seher, sixth grade, Jackson Elementary)